Maybe your friends come to you with questions every April and you've just never understood why doing taxes seems so hard to other people. Perhaps you have an inkling that this would be an ideal opportunity to own your own business. Well, here's your chance!
Opening a tax preparation business gives you the opportunity to be your own boss, set your own hours and work as much, or as little as you want. You don't have to be an expert (or have any prior training at all – America's Tax Office will provide that), an accountant, or have a large firm with lots of staff. Many professional tax preparers are regular, everyday people who decide to open a franchise. For some, it's a side job on top of another career, and for others, it's their full time source of income.
So how do you go about opening a tax preparation business? If you think it might be for you, then there are a few simple steps you'll need to take:
- Take our tax training – You don't need to be a certified accountant to do taxes, but it does help to have some training. Your tax instruction can be completed online, and you will be assisted by one of our trainers, who will call you and walk you through each step personally. These training sessions will teach you to identify possible deductions, as well as how to look up tough answers if a client has a strange or unusual situation. Getting trained doesn't just mean you do a better job for your client; it also means your clients will trust you more and you'll get more business overall.
- Register with the IRS – As a professional tax preparer, you'll have to register and get your PTIN, a number that will identify you on customers' tax returns. You will need to renew your PTIN every year that you continue to act as a tax preparer.
- Apply for electronic filing – Separate from the PTIN, apply for an electronic filing number (EFIN) so you can file all your customers' taxes online. If you don’t currently have an EFIN or are having trouble obtaining one, America’s Tax Office will assist you with this step.
- Find a Location – Having an office will help your visibility and set you up for success. Our professionals will assist you in finding an appropriate and viable location and furnishing it with everything you need for your new venture.
- Promote yourself – Tell friends and families, put up fliers, make a Facebook page, and network on LinkedIn!
These are some of the most important things you need to open a tax preparation business with America's Tax Office. Do you think you're ready to do it?